Difference between two laptops

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Rosina Christen, May 15, 2013.

1. Rosina Christen macrumors member

Hey I am in dire need of help, I'm not sure if I'm on the right section to talk about laptops, but here I go. We have two laptops a emachine and a hulet Packard ect. We have Internet and we had the laptops side by side and the laptops showed different amount of Internet bars one had one and the Packard had 4-5. Anybody have information like if the difference in computers. Because my emachine was always better than the Packard. Which makes no sense if the other computer has better wifi.

Any help would be good.:) thank you

2. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

It depends on what wifi chip was in them. Also the Hewlett Packard may have a diferent wifi bar UI.

3. Rosina Christen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks how do I figure out the chip bars do I just look it up or do I contact somebody?

4. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest going to speedtest.net and checking the wifi speeds on each laptop and see if the signal bar UI has any correlation with signl strength.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

to check the wifi chip just right click on my computer and then device manager. From there you can go to network adapters to see what wifi chip it is using. I don't really know how to tell if it is good or not other than using google.

6. Rosina Christen thread starter macrumors member

Well there were side by side, and they showed different bars. Thanks you guys ill try that.