Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Hello! Could anyone please tell me the difference between the Intel SSDSA2CW600G310 and SSDSA2CW600G3K5 solid state drives? Both are listed for sale on multiple reseller sites, they have different part numbers and are priced differently, but no reseller rep can tell me what the difference is between the two products.

As an example, you can see:

Any insight anybody might have would be sincerely appreciated!

thanks!
Mark

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Sure.. One is an OEM drive and doesn't come with the pretty retail packing. The retail drive comes with a 5 year warranty and the OEM drive doesn't have a warranty listed. I'm pretty sure you want the one with the 5 year warranty.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Thanks Dustin. Packaging, I'll only pay another $30 bucks for if it's Apple. Maybe! ;)

now, the 5 year warranty. . .he%#!!!! yes I will pay the additional $30 for a five year warranty.

Sincerest thanks for your response!

cheers,
Mark

DrivenDaily

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Boston
Warranty Differences

I just picked up an Intel 320 Series 160GB after a lot of research. Here is the difference between the OEM warranty and the Retail/Reseller warranty to the best of my knowledge. As you can see...you probably want the Retail/Reseller (Last characters of product code are B5 or K5) box.

As what's included in each see this page

Retail/Reseller:

if the Product is properly used and installed, it will be free from defects in material and workmanship, and will substantially
conform to Intel’s publicly available specifications for a period of five (5) years beginning on the date the Product was
purchased in its original sealed packaging in the case of an Original Purchaser or the date of original purchase of a computer
system containing the Product in the case of an Original System Customer. If the Product, which is the subject of this Limited
Warranty, fails to conform to the above warranty during the warranty period, Intel, at its option, will:
* REPAIR the Product by means of hardware and/or software; OR
* REPLACE the Product with another product; OR, if Intel is unable to repair or replace the Product,
* REFUND the then-current value of the Product at the time a claim for warranty service is made to Intel under this Limited Warranty.

OEM:

if the Product is properly used and installed, it will be free from defects in material and workmanship, and will substantially
conform to Intel’s publicly available specifications for the “warranty period”, which is THE SHORTER OF: (A) A PERIOD OF FIVE
(5) YEARS BEGINNING ON THE DATE THE PRODUCT WAS PURCHASED IN ITS ORIGINAL SEALED PACKAGING IN THE CASE OF AN
ORIGINAL PURCHASER OR THE DATE OF ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM CONTAINING THE PRODUCT IN THE
CASE OF AN ORIGINAL SYSTEM CUSTOMER; OR (B) THE PERIOD ENDING ON THE DATE WHEN THE USAGE OF THE DRIVE, AS
MEASURED BY INTEL’S IMPLEMENTATION OF THE “SMART” ATTRIBUTE (E9) “MEDIA WEAR-OUT INDICATOR”, REACHES A
“NORMALIZED VALUE” OF “1”, AS REPORTED BY THE INTEL® SSD TOOLBOX. The “Media Wear-out Indicator” (E9) is specified in
the Intel datasheet for the Product, and can be accessed using the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox software available as a free
download from Intel. By using the Intel SSD Toolbox and clicking on the “Check SMART Attributes” button the user will find the
E9 or “Media Wear-out Indicator” value. A new, unused drive will show a Media Wear-out Indicator value of “100”, while a drive
that has reached its write endurance limit will show a Media Wear-out Indicator value of “1”.
If the Product, which is the subject
of this Limited Warranty, fails to conform to the above warranty during the warranty period, Intel, at its option, will:
* REPAIR the Product by means of hardware and/or software; OR
* REPLACE the Product with another product; OR, if Intel is unable to repair or replace the Product,
* REFUND the then-current value of the Product at the time a claim for warranty service is made to Intel under this
Limited Warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.