Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ying yang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I'm configuring a new MBP and I've come to the keyboard options. I usually always get the British one since I'm in Europe but I'm thinking of getting the US one if, in fact, two assumptions of mine are true.

1. That the US one is the one with the full words written on the Command, Option keys etc. and also doesn't have the L shaped Return key.

2. That the actual keys are in the same order no matter which one I get.

Am I right?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Sort of. Side note: I HATE your keyboards. I'm SO used to using left Shift...

The tilde key is up by the 1 key on the US keyboard, and the left Shift key is larger (What is the name of the key on the left of the 1 key on the UK keyboard?). There are small changes on the right side of the board, too.

I kept hitting tilde instead of Shift when typing on one in Ireland... annoying, much? :D

ying yang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
What is the name of the key on the left of the 1 key on the UK keyboard?

±
§

It's that one, whatever it's called.

Below: The first one's the one I currently have and the second one is the one I want. Is that US layout exactly?

Weirdly, the last time I bought a MBP the nice keyboard was on the box and the crappy one was on the computer itself for some reason.

Attachments

• 335237b221.jpg.jpeg
    335237b221.jpg.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 120
  • keyboard.jpg.jpeg
    keyboard.jpg.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 139

ying yang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
After growing up with Windows boards I still have to think a second or two about which key is Option. The full words will help.

Thanks everybody.

Edit: What is § btw? I can't see it on the US layout.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
I still can't get used to the @ sign not being next to the enter key, I don't like how it and quotations marks have changed place on the BT keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.