Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Currently a Verizon customer and plan to move to the new iPhoneX but will be switching over to AT&T in the very near future and not quite sure about the compatibility between the carriers. I went to inquire at the AT&T store about various plans/pricing/etc and the rep told me my Verizon iPhone will work just fine on ATT. Trying to find some sort of literature that it will work the SAME as if I bought a "AT&T" iPhone. When the rep says "just fine" I just need to make sure that performance wise it is identical. "Just fine" on another network is one thing. Working as if it was purchased from that network is another.

Is there some sort of literature that supports the claim? Just need to make sure that the phone has both CDMA and GSM hardware (and software?) in the phone and the correct LTE hardware (software?) to perform as intended with either carrier at the levels the carrier provides.

*I guess the easy way to ask this is if there is a difference between the AT&T, Verizon, and SIM-free models???*

Thanks!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Actually, you're doing better by getting a Verizon phone and bringing it to AT&T since it will have the bands for both carriers.

It's on Apple's site for the iPhone X, look under "tech specs" and then cellular and wireless.

a82320

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
You know what, bascially Verizon/Sprint iPhone can use CDMA/GSM, ATT/TMO can only use GSM.
If all of these models of iPhones are unlocked, get Verizon/Sprint, they are always better than GSM phones.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Thanks for the info. I wasn't quite sure how to interpret those tech specs so thank you for the explanation. Stupid question then....why would they make one phone that works on both networks and has all the proper hardware and one phone that only works on AT&T with limited hardware?

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
One word price, by using two different modems Apple is able to negotiate a lower price from both corporations that produce the modems

a82320

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Thanks for the info. I wasn't quite sure how to interpret those tech specs so thank you for the explanation. Stupid question then....why would they make one phone that works on both networks and has all the proper hardware and one phone that only works on AT&T with limited hardware?
no idea, but I would say it's mostly part price problem. GSM only is cheaper than GSM/CDMA chip something??

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
One word price, by using two different modems Apple is able to negotiate a lower price from both corporations that produce the modems
But the modem that is compatible across GSM/CDMA is inferior (performance-wise) to the GSM only modem, no?

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
But the modem that is compatible across GSM/CDMA is inferior (performance-wise) to the GSM only modem, no?

Actually not.

CDMA/GSM version the modem chip is from Qualcomm (Verizon, Sprint, Sim Free when released). GSM only version modem ship is from Intel (ATT/T-Moble).

The Qualcomm version is reported to be able to work at lower signal strength. Also it can communicate faster but it is throttled in the iPhone implementation to have the same communication rate at intel model.

Better negotiation leverage having multiple suppliers. Qualcomm also is involved in patent disputes with Apple.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
hmmm, interesting. I guess this really is a bean counter issue as I would just make 1 phone with the Qualcomm chip since it works across all platforms "equal" to the Intel chip phone that only works on AT&T.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012

Because AT&T said, “No one walks away from me!”

(sorry couldn’t resist)

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
hmmm, interesting. I guess this really is a bean counter issue as I would just make 1 phone with the Qualcomm chip since it works across all platforms "equal" to the Intel chip phone that only works on AT&T.

Apple is trying to move away from Qualcomm, hence they are "testing" out the Intel chips. Same thing they did with TSMC with the 6S/6S Plus. Either next year, or the year after I would expect Qualcomm to start disappearing from iPhones. I believe Intel already has a CDMA capable modem in the works.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
How about that CDMA is used by a small minority of cell phone systems around the world (gee, you mean there is someplace outside the US?).

Now if it wasn't for that and they used the Qualcomm modem ship they could communicate faster. (Come on 5th gen.)

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
If your carrier is ATT, and you have no intention of switching, then the only question would be resell value.

It might be wise to anticipate reselling these, but ATT makes upgrading rather easy, which I imagine you can't do, unless you go their route.

GhostMac24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
NC
Because AT&T said, “No one walks away from me!”

(sorry couldn’t resist)
:D:D:D
[doublepost=1508777051][/doublepost]
Apple is trying to move away from Qualcomm, hence they are "testing" out the Intel chips. Same thing they did with TSMC with the 6S/6S Plus. Either next year, or the year after I would expect Qualcomm to start disappearing from iPhones. I believe Intel already has a CDMA capable modem in the works.
Ok, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure I'll just order the Verizon phone and then when we are ready to switch, we'll be good to go. I'd just hate to get the ATT phone and then decide to go back to Verizon and get stuck selling a phone rather than just take it with me.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
lets say you and a friend made lemonade. you have two different lemonade stands at different streets. you work at a busier street and make more money. you charge a little more for your higher quality lemonade than your friend. of course, you and your friend buy your lemons at the same local grocery store. the grocery finds out that you make more profit and charge more money for your lemonade. would you be happy if the grocery store charged you $20 for a 2lb bag of lemons and charged your friend $15 for the exact same product only because they knew you charged more per lemonade?

thats basically the issue with qualcomm right now. they are charging different prices for the same lemons. in the future however, it shouldn't be that big of a deal as Verizon and Sprint will no longer sell lemonade and strictly sell freshly squeezed LTE juice along with the rest of the industry. Until then, this will likely continue since Qualcomm is the only grocery store that sells lemons.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
lets say you and a friend made lemonade. you have two different lemonade stands at different streets. you work at a busier street and make more money. you charge a little more for your higher quality lemonade than your friend. of course, you and your friend buy your lemons at the same local grocery store. the grocery finds out that you make more profit and charge more money for your lemonade. would you be happy if the grocery store charged you $20 for a 2lb bag of lemons and charged your friend $15 for the exact same product only because they knew you charged more per lemonade?

thats basically the issue with qualcomm right now. they are charging different prices for the same lemons. in the future however, it shouldn't be that big of a deal as Verizon and Sprint will no longer sell lemonade and strictly sell freshly squeezed LTE juice along with the rest of the industry. Until then, this will likely continue since Qualcomm is the only grocery store that sells lemons.

Not really tho because Intel clearly doesn't have a CDMA/GSM radio. Just a GSM radio

If they did I wouldn't be surprised if apple went all in on Intel. They are all in on Intel in many many markets however

...That analogy doesn't work in this case

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA

Now I’m really thirsty for some lemonade. Curse your analogy and these Santa Ana winds today! ;)

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Not really tho because Intel clearly doesn't have a CDMA/GSM radio. Just a GSM radio

If they did I wouldn't be surprised if apple went all in on Intel. They are all in on Intel in many many markets however

...That analogy doesn't work in this case
Intel doesn't sell lemons. They sell oranges. And we're talking about lemonade here, not orange juice or orangeade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.