Difference between wireless keyboards that require 2 and 3 batteries?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stanw, Apr 17, 2014.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if there are any differences between the Apple wireless keyboards that require 2 batteries and the ones that require 3? I have a couple extras and am just trying to figure out which to get rid of.

Thanks.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The original wireless keyboard required 3 batteries. The newer ones only use 2.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Actually, Apple's first wireless keyboard (2003) required 4 batteries.

The 3-battery was a complete redesign in 2007, then followed in 2009 with a small change. 2-battery model is the newest, and requires a minimum OS X 10.5.8
    And, a slight update in 2011 changes the Dashboard key to a Launchpad key.
    So, I suppose you could look for that difference, if you want to only keep the latest model.
    Other differences? Captain Obvious says "3 batteries cost more to replace than 2 batteries (assuming the same battery life)"

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Was the first wireless keyboard (4 battery) the one with full-stroke keys, numeric pad, and a somewhat transparent plastic construction as opposed to the current aluminum design?

I assume that a more efficient design (lower voltage, lower current) prompted the move from 3 to 2 batteries to obtain the same battery life ... thus having 3 batteries probably doesn't make for extended run time.

I would keep the latest models you have as well.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Yes