difference between xeon i9 and regular i9

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cohen777, Jun 9, 2010.

1. cohen777 macrumors regular

So what does a xeon i9 bring to the table that a regular i9 doesn't? I appreciate your responses.

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

There is no i9, it'll be sold as i7 98x series and 36xx/56xx series for Xeons.

You can read more info here.

The difference will be the same as Xeons and Desktop cpus, xeons does dual sockets or more along with server type of memory (ECC/buffered/Registered).

Depending on the type of systems, Xeons can be more expensive overall than i7 desktops. Xeons is designed for workstation/servers workload whereas i7 is designed for laptop/desktops.

3. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

4. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Actually not necessarily. If follow that page to the 3600 you'll see that the 3680 is $999. The i7-980X is $999. Similarly the 3520 and 3540 editions were priced below the "extreme" i7 versions. The "extreme" Core 2 and Core i series processors have about as large of a price premium slapped on them as the roughly equivalent Xeon versions do and you also get the ECC benefits with the latter.

There are definitely versions that are not in the intersection (lower i7's and higher Xeons ), but there is overlap in price ranges.

If there were 3620 and 3640 they too would be price below the upper range of the i7 X offerings. The Xeon options can't quite limbo quite as low to roll out $1,000 systems though. However, the top performance end of the i7 series cannot either.

However, want to go to two package socket design (5500/5600)... there is an extra price premium layered on top. One QPI interface versus two will bring an increase. Going to four of them (6500/7500) brings yet another increase (there is still some price overlap if give up clock speed versus 980X )

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

You're right, I don't know why I didn't explain in more details. I should've been clear, what I meant is that it's expensive overall, not just CPU pricing, as in systems integration. I edited my post to be more clear.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Server CPU's support error checkings ( which slows it a bit down ), but they usually a bit more reliable which is important when running a full blown server.

For workstation in a professional studio where 1 hour of downtime can costs more than $1000, server components are sometimes also used because they are build for reliability and hence there is less chance that the system needs to go in for repair or crashes.

Else, there is no advantage from buying server components except empty your wallet.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Xeon 3xxx series is similarly priced as similar Core iX is. Only DP versions cost more because they support multiple CPUs (dual QPI) and have lower TDP so they are more suitable for multi CPU computers.

Xeons usually have more models than normal CPUs because normal CPUs tend to start from +2.5GHz while some Xeons are less than 2GHz (cores matter more for servers).

Just correcting few things. I don't know is there any difference between e.g. Core i7 X980 and Xeon W3680 other than Xeon supports ECC (both cost 999$)