Difference between Xtorrent and Xtorrent Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -tWv-, Jan 28, 2010.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I recently started trying a program called Xtorrent to download torrent files off the internet. I really like the program and the integrated search feature is very useful. The only problem I have it has a free version which it says the speeds are somehow throttled and then a paid version called "Xtorrent Pro" which offers faster speeds.

All I wanted to know is how could the application limit the DL speed? and Would it make a significant difference on the overall DL speed of the application? I just wanted to know before I bought a license for the application if there was actually a significant difference between the free and paid version. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

In short yes, the free program could throttle your DL speed. Almost all programs test the bandwith of your connection to know you max speeds, and there could be something in the free version that disables full speeds or the number of connections to other computers.

But it could also just be the program itself isn't that great speeds will never reach the full speed possible.

IMO there is a wide variety of FREE torrent programs that I would try out before I ever bought one, no matter how nice the GUI is.

Vuze
    Transmission
    uTorrent
    Tomato

There are several others as well that aren't coming to mind. I'm sure someone will chime in with their favorite not listed or you can just do a google search.

3. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I have tried Vuze before and it was seemed bulky and slow and had many features I didn't need. Transmission has always been slow when I have tried to use it and I think it's overly simplistic. Utorrent is the one I most often use and although it is good, it is missing a few features that Xtorrent has. I will probably try to use Xtorrent for a while and see if I notice a significant difference in download speed.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know why anyone would buy a Torrent program. Waste of money.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Good news. I just wanted to make sure you knew of other options before buying. If xtorrent makes you happy, then you should buy it.

6. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

The latest version of Vuze has redone and runs so much quicker than previous versions so much so I've stopped using Transmision and Xtorrent.

7. dedalus807 macrumors newbie

I could not agree with you, more.

Unfortunately I have just the big mistake; since I really wanted to download a file through Xtorrent. So far I am pretty sure my choice has not been optimal.

touchdownjesus4, I can not notice any significant difference in the speed of my downloads. Probably I would go for Vuze or other free Torrent programs.
    Xtorrent (in the free version) is still acceptable.

Trust my experience and avoid spending that money.

My two cents about