Difference from 1 gig of RAM to 4 gigs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Feb 20, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Okay, right now I have 1 gig of RAM in my MacBook. I just ordered THIS. How much of an improvement will I see? Just curious what to expect.

Thanks!

2. dj420118 macrumors regular

Well if your macbook has been constantly having to borrow memory from the HD then this extra ram is going to be a big speed improvement when you have several memory intensive programs open. BUT if you don't usually have heavy duty programs open you may not notice much of a speed improvement.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

From what I have heard it should be like day and night, start up time should be a lot faster and you can have more apps at the same time all very smoothly and probably more things. It can't really hurt anway but I really don't know but that is just from what I have heard and seen at apple stores.

4. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

That depends entirely on what you're doing with your computer. You may see no difference whatsoever.

I use photoshop and a few other RAM hungry applications. When I first got my MBP, i thought 1 gig was a little on the skimpy side.

With 4 gigs, I never question how much I'm using. I know when I have a lot of images open in PS, sometimes I get a little laggy, but that's unusual for me unless I'm doing stupid things and not really getting something done.

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

4GB definitely makes a difference, especially when using memory intensive applications.

I use Lightroom and Photoshop concurrently, and I noticed some lag with 2GB of RAM (my MBP came with 2GB).

I upgraded to 4GB and it now flies - when running both Adobe products and doing some heavy editing, I don't see any lag or disk activity.

Best upgrade you cam make, IMHO...

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

Night and day difference. After the first boot, which is slower because the machine has to recognize the new memory and they all have to tell their life stories, the boot is much faster. You can have more programs open, all of your programs will be snappier, and if you play any games it's the best thing you can do for a laptop since you can't swap the graphics card.

GOOD BUY TO BE HONEST.