Difference having push on/off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nburwell, May 19, 2009.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This could be a completely dumb question, so I apologize in advance. However, what is the difference between having "push" turned on and off? I currently having it off with my iPhone being set at retrieving new data hourly. So if I turn "push" on, what difference, if any, am I going to see?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Currently I believe only .mac (mobile me) accounts will push, meaning e-mail is instant whereas services such as gmail (imap and pop) will retrieve data every 15,30,60 minutes. Therefore, unless you have a .mac account having push turned on (I believe) is pointless.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you have Push on, and you have an email account compatible with push, you get your email instantly, because it will be "pushed" to your iPhone.

4. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

Thanks for the quick replies. I have Gmail, so this basically wouldn't apply to me anyway. So I'm right in having it turned off. Thanks again.

5. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

Your battery life. My battery life was horrid with push on. I turned it off and my battery lasts a couple of days. Ah, well.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Saying "Turned it off" isn't enough info. You have to explain what you turned it to.

If you turned it from 'push' to 'manual' then yes, your battery life will improve. But if you turned it from 'push' to '15 minutes' it will probably get worse, not better.

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Depends on network conditions. Exchange push uses a sliding-window mechanism for determining the length of time it'll go before sending a heartbeat. If you're in an area with spotty coverage, or if your carrier's NAT is overly-aggressive, it'll end up sending heartbeats quite frequently -- in that case, fetch with a 15 minute interval might present a significant savings.

If, on the other hand, you're in an area with great coverage and your carrier's NAT isn't ******* insane (a term which describes O2's setup perfectly) the interval between heartbeats might be long enough that push will be more efficient than fetch.

As an aside, IMAP IDLE (the protocol extension which Apple for some reason hasn't implemented) only requires a single packet every 29 minutes -- so it's absurdly efficient compared to both DirectPush and IMAP polling.