Difference in Airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by harleygold, Nov 10, 2009.

1. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

Can someone tell me the difference in these options. Right now I have it set to 5ghz only but my iphone cant connect, but I still want the 5ghz. Is there an option to where I can have both?

Attached Files:

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

5Ghz is the 'draft' N standard. it is better because it doesn't receive interference from things such as portable phones, etc... 2.4 is what your iphone wifi runs on.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Your phone is running on 2,4ghz which is 802.11g. So pick the first option, which will alow both N (for your macbook/imac) and G (for your phone).

A is just olddddddd wifi technology, wich you probably don't need to activate unless you have the first wifi laptop ever :)

5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Go to Applications- Utilities- Airport Utility and double click on the picture of your Airport Extreme to enter manual mode. Click on the Wireless tab. Hold down your Option key while clicking on Radio Mode.
    Then choose 802.11n only (5GHz) - 802.11 b/g/n. Then click Update.

6. harleygold thread starter macrumors regular

harleygold

Thanks Peter! I got clear to the end then I got confused...not surprising :D.

I don't see 802.11 b/g/n. I just see the b/g option. and if thats what you meant then how do I highlight both. Apologies if i'm not getting it.

Attached Files:

7. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Hey Harley,

Sorry man. My bad. I'm running a new Time Capsule with software version 7.5, so from the look of your screen shot, the older version software doesn't give that option so 802.11n b/g/n compatible is your only option.