Difference in Apple insider savings and actual savings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by velvetlounger, Jul 30, 2014.

1. velvetlounger macrumors member

velvetlounger

So I just went ahead with a purchase from Apple Insider buying a rMBA with bundled applecare using Adorama coupon. The AI site says that I will save $349 but after using the promo code and checking out Adorama lets me know that I only saved around $170. Does anyone know why there is such a difference.

Thanks

2. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

Did you take into account sales tax and shipping costs? There's actually a number of reasons why that could be, but I wouldn't necessarily blame Apple insider. Prices do fluctuate,

3. velvetlounger thread starter macrumors member

velvetlounger

I'm buying from Illinois so I thought as Adorama is in NY there would be no sales tax, though I could be wrong. and the shipping option I chose was only $19.

4. Brandon083 macrumors member

Brandon083

It's the difference between Adorama's price and buying direct from the apple store.

5. velvetlounger thread starter macrumors member

velvetlounger

ok so the $349 is the difference between the adoram special and the mac store, the $170 is the difference between the normal Adorama discount and the special Adorama offer?

thanks

6. Brandon083 macrumors member

Brandon083

I think the $170 is just the amount you get off of the apple care + rMBP bundle using the special AI+Adorama discount that gets you apple care included for free (not sure why it isn't $174 though since that's the price of apple care). The final price should be the same as the price on AI's page + shipping + tax (if applicable).

I just bought a computer from Adorama yesterday and their pricing and billing is odd. They initially authorized the the full amount then corrected and charged the amount with the discount. When I called they seemed to have no idea what apple care or this promo code was.

In any case I think it is a fantastic deal to get apple care thrown in even if it is 'last year's' model.