Difference in Jailbreaking methods on IP4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MikeSantor, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So im finally getting my first iphone here soon. I started looking into different ways to jailbreak it and the 3 most popular seem to be JBM.com, LimeRa1n, and Redsn0w. after trying to research all these the only ones im seeing negatives on is JBM.com. There is a list of cons for using this method apparently. After much reading I cant seem to find any negatives on the other 2.

the first and only thing I have ever jailbroken was an Ipod touch second gen and I believe it was with redsn0w (or one from the dev team). It was really easy and made backups of everything, etc.

Is there one process that is better then the other in regards to the Iphone 4? I just figured after all my reading I would make sure by asking you guys.

Thanks in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

jailbreakme.com doesn't work on anything new then 4.0.1. limera1n is a bit buggy. I only use redsn0w or the even better PwnageTool.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It really depends on what you expect from your jb software. Pwnage allows you to create custom firmware. I used pwnage on my iphone so I could preserve the bb. However, some less technologically minded people think it's too difficult to use if you don't need that functionality. Also, I think pwnage requires a mac, but I'm not 100% positive about that.
    I also used redsnow, when I had a 3G and that seemed pretty easy to me. However, others complained that it was also difficult to use. IIRC, redsnow doesn't create a custom firmware.

You'll have to look at your own technological capabilities. Be honest, because messing up your jb can have some nasty consequences. Of course, whichever jb you go with, make sure you've read the instructions enough times that you can almost recite them in your sleep.

4. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

exactly. pwnage tool is the way to go ESPECIALLY if you rely on unlock, or in my case always love the ability to sell unlocked later down the road (more money on ebay) other tools are usually available first, but are known to be buggy