Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ok here's the deal, and this IS subjective (I know this is going to get me in trouble :eek: )

I had the Air 11" 1.6GHZ (previous version ) and decided to upgrade it with one of the new ones, so I bought the 1.8GHZ

It was getting a bit on the warm side so I returned it and got the i5.

This one (i5) doesn't seem to have the problem that the 1.8GHZ had (heat)

HOWEVER, this could be anything form this particular unit, to sunspots, to
Something I had eaten (if you get my drift).

So whatever you do, don't act on this info. (I just thought I'd add it to the general pool of idiotic mass hysteria).

:)

Tootles

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Ok here's the deal, and this IS subjective (I know this is going to get me in trouble :eek: )

I had the Air 11" 1.6GHZ (previous version ) and decided to upgrade it with one of the new ones, so I bought the 1.8GHZ

It was getting a bit on the warm side so I returned it and got the i5.

This one (i5) doesn't seem to have the problem that the 1.8GHZ had (heat)

HOWEVER, this could be anything form this particular unit, to sunspots, to
Something I had eaten (if you get my drift).

So whatever you do, don't act on this info. (I just thought I'd add it to the general pool of idiotic mass hysteria).

:)

You can't compare a c2d (what the previous version is) MBA to an i7.

I want to know how the i5 and i7 compare in fan noise and battery usage, during mundane tasks because, those are the tasks that I'm more likely to be doing while on battery and/or holding the MBA on my lap. If the i7 runs louder during those tasks than the i5 does, then you have to decide between faster speeds when you need it and quiet performance when you want it. If there's no difference in fan noise during those mundane tasks, then the decision becomes a lot easier to make.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
The i5 will be able to handle 480p. The difference in boosted GPU speed between the i5 and i7 in the 11" is only 50MHz.

My 2.4ghz c2d handles 720p fine and the i5 score almost twice as much in geek bench.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.