Difference in Office Products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iphoner2010, Oct 22, 2008.

1. iphoner2010 macrumors member

:apple:Hello,

I am looking to purchase an edition of Office:mac for my mac, but I need some help in deciding which one. I am aware that regular mac has exchange support and other additions (which I don't need), but I want to know if the home/student editions of Office:mac are condensed versions of each software package instead of full versions. Any input?

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I take it your going for the latest office for mac. The only thing that comes to mind is the lack of VBA support.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage are the same across each of the Office editions. Student and Teacher just lacks support for Server Exchange and Automator Actions.

You may want to try NeoOffice first it works great and is free.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That's true. I got Office for Mac because I need Word (everyone in the world in which I work use it), and it is vital for me. I find it perfectly good and it works well.
    Cheers

5. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

6. portent macrumors 6502a

The table here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/shop-now.mspx

Shows exactly what's included in each version.
    That may have been true in previous versions, but revision support is much better in Oo_O 3.

7. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Sure it's better, but still not good enough. Believe me we've had plenty of problems with project collaboration in the past week.

8. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks! I've never gotten anything but the best editions (like pro) for my PC...but then again, I don't pay for software on my PC. I have had some experiences before in some products however that sell you the "home" version but it has like 1/2 the stuff...while taunting you everytime you open the program to upgrade and unlock all the features. I was mainly concerned because the reviews for the office:mac (regular) are 1.5 stars (avg.) higher throughout BestBuy, Apple, and Sam'sClub/WalMart reviews.:apple: