Difference in Performance of 2.3ghz compared to 2.4ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjclarkey, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sjclarkey macrumors newbie

I want to buy entry level 15" Macbook pro with retina screen. It will mainly be used for internet browsing and playing strategy games such as Civilization V and Victoria 2. No video editing.

Will I see any significant performance improvement on getting the newly upgraded 2.4ghz as I maybe able to get a 2.3ghz model slightly cheaper?
    Screen and graphics are much more important to me than battery life.

Many thanks for any advise.

2. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

You probably won't notice a difference unless you run benchmarks side by side, and even then, it will be minimal. However, aren't the new ones the same price as last year's or cheaper? If so, just get a new one. If the old one is in fact cheaper, I'd go with that one, unless you want those 16GB of RAM

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

The actual speed increase from 2.3 to 2.4GHz may be marginal, however the actual hardware build is newer and possibly better. It's not unprecedented that a manufacturer would make silent improvements to their build without it ever being officially known.

In general it's a good idea to get the latest iteration of hardware simply because you're getting the latest and greatest. The slight processor increase is possibly only the tip of the iceberg.

4. Ploki macrumors 68000

Or just the tip without the iceberg...

I say wait for iFixit till making conclusions

5. 544263 Suspended

you can check out the geekbench mac results and compare the two systems. you will get a pretty precise measure of what the difference really is. however, experience shows that RAM and SSD is a lot more important than CPU.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It takes about a 20% improvement in CPU speed for a person to notice the difference. Most users are limited by memory or I/O speed.

7. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

Go for the last one ... I just picked up the "old" 2.9 i7 512 R13" at the apple store in town ... at €100 cheaper than the "New price" so 2099 instead of 2199 !!! seems that although you can configure the "new" to the above specs they want the "old" SKU's out the door quick ... so saved €500 in one week :) (Old = €2599)

so if deals can be made here in Germany I am sure you can get a deal where you are ..

Does this also mean that Apple was making more than €500 profit !! :eek: o a single Macbook Wow ;)

8. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Go for the older one you won't notice a difference if anything just upgrade your RAM to the max.