difference in quality between BTO or default configuration MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefan1975, Aug 19, 2010.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

i am about to order a MBP again and was just wondering if it is smarter to buy a default config or BTO MBP?

The only thing i am considering changing is the keyboard, i prefer the small 'enter' key of the US keyboard over the big L shaped enter on the NL keyboard.

If i go BTO the shipping is longer (3-5 days opposed to 24 hours), but that isn't too much of a problem for me.

I was just wondering if it might be smarter to get a default config since they make more of these, or a BTO since they have to make it "custom" for me and it might be a more recent build. I have read stories that there are quality problem currently on the MBP lines so would it matter one way or the other?

If it is better/easier/faster repairs in the future to get a default MBP i could learn to live with the weird 'enter' key.

stefan

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Doesn't matter they are all the same in quality.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your chances of getting a crappy computer is the same either way, if that's what you're concerned about.

With a BTO, you're just more likely to get a machine with newer parts (latest revision, etc.)

4. scottacus macrumors newbie

The only advantage to a stock model is the case your computer totally craps out and you go to an Apple Store, you may be more likely to get a full replacement vs a repair.

That aside, if you really prefer one keyboard layout you may as well go BTO - it's something you will use every day so you should get what you want.

5. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well that was what i was thinking about that with a BTO the revision/build date would be more recent. not sure if it makes any difference but perhaps they have been slight issues since April, right?

The thing holding me back was indeed the service, although we have no Apple stores here where to replace the system either way I thought i might be easier for apple (even by phone) to service me with a default config in case of problems. That and the fact we just ordered two iMacs at work with a US keyboard instead of a NL ond what we got were two "qwertz" german keyboards ... with the US ones on backorder for 14 days.

6. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what does strike me as a little odd in the reviews/benchmarks of the MB13 and the MBP13 is that in the CPU, I/O and 3D tests the white MB always scores higher then the MBP13, but the MBP lasts longer on a charge.

what could be the reason of this? Is the MB faster with the same specs? because it is cooler in the plastic? Or just two different models in which one was put together by a person having an off day?

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/apple-macbook-2010.aspx?page=2

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

How do you figure? As long as he's not buying clearance/refurb, he's getting latest gen.

8. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know both the default and the BTO are latest April 2010 gehey do have different build dates though, with some stores still selling "old" batches of 2010 MBP's and other have build dates of 07/2010. I just wondered if there might be a difference, in the way that they ironed out small issues, put in updated wificards, a more recent HDD build, that kind of stuff.

That and the fact that i wondered if the default config would be made more massively then BTO models, so perhaps they undergo a more relaxed building process where they make less of them and possibly spend more time testing the stuff for errors....

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sure, the components are going to be newer in that they're manufactured at a later date, but the units will be the exact same unless there were known issues with the computer that have been resolved. Other than a different build of snow leopard installed, they're all going to be the same. The unibody casing is very mature. I don't know if panel and hard drive manufacturers used vary reliably by date, but there's going to be no major differences.

10. scottacus macrumors newbie

The 13" MacBook Pro they are comparing against isn't the model from last year. You can add a comparison to the current model at the bottom of the page - when you do that the test results are pretty much identical.