Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamvincent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Hi guys, can i change my language into some other than EN while the desktop or anywhere still displays EN? Since I want my itunes to display the right song names which are in other languages. THX

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yes, those instructions are for changing the default language of the whole computer's interface. Are you saying you want iTunes to have its interface (as in, the menus) in English, but display song titles in another language? If so, it already does that--iTunes, Finder, and nearly every other part of the OS use Unicode and have full support for any character set the fonts exist for. Rip a CD with non-English song titles, and you'll usually get at least one of the options as the original language. Half of my Library is Japanese, and I needed to do nothing at all to support this.

If you want to know how to TYPE non-English text yourself, go to System Prefs --> Language & Text --> Input Sources, check the "Show Input Menu in menu bar box down at the bottom, and put a check next to whatever languages in the list you want to type in.

Now, in any app that supports Unicode (which, again, is nearly all of them), select the flag icon in the righthand side of the menu bar and select the alternate language, then type away.

Now, if you don't have the fonts installed (OSX installs fonts by default for nearly everything, but there may be some character sets it leaves out), you can either install the "optional asian fonts" set from your original OSX install discs, or maybe find a font for the language in question.

Note, also, that if you use VoiceOver on an iPod shuffle, it usually does a very good job of selecting the language to "read" the text out loud in. I have, however, noticed that if a title has only Kanji, it will assume it's in Chinese, rather than Japanese (it correctly guesses Japanese if there's any phonetic characters in it). You can override this with the "Voiceover Language" item in the "Options" tab of a song (I think it only appears if you have at least one Voiceover-enabled iPod synched to that copy of iTunes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.