difference Nvidia 512/1Gb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roeliepoelie, Jun 22, 2012.

1. roeliepoelie macrumors newbie

Hello,
    i want to buy the new MBP, non retina.
    Now is my final question, something i do not understand...
    What is the difference between the Nvidia video card in the two 15" models.
    They are both the same, except the one on the basic has 512Mb, and the other has 1Gb.
    With what applications do you know the difference. Is it when gaming ( i don't play games on my mac), is it when editing videos.

So, can somebody explain me what is the difference and why should i go for the 1Gb, or when is the 512 enough.
    (I don't want to spent too much money on something i don't really need.)

thanks for your help,
    Roel

2. roeliepoelie thread starter macrumors newbie

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Mainly more video ram, which is what your referring to, is beneficial when gaming. Games can store more textures so games can be run at higher texture quality.
    Most average people dont benefit from more video ram. If you run several external screen video ram is important so that everything remains smooth across all screens.

What will you be doing with the MBP. Others and I can help you more if you tell us this :)

4. roeliepoelie thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be using the macbook for Imovie, photoshop (both just for personal use, editing movies from the family, play a bit around with photoshop)
    And than just the normal laptop use, internet, skype, word etc....
    I don't play games with the macbook ( so NO Diablo for me (I don't even know what everybody is taking about...))

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

For photoshop the extra video ram does nothing. Video ram is mostly about the ability to keep refreshing the screen with new information, like gaming. For normal video editing 512 should be okay - that's twice what I have but I don't game.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well in that case 512 is the better option considering the price. its not worth it for you so get the cheap one