Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadchr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Wisconsin
I have a 10GB 3rd Gen iPod, and while I can find tons of info about the specs of the new iPod, no where can I find a comparison to my 3rd Gen.

Can anyone post a link or type out a list of the exact differences between the two? I'm primarily curious about the size (Would a 60GB still be thinner than my 3rd Gen?) and this talk about the "rounded edges". Thanks.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Dimensions 3rd gen
Height: 4.1 in
Depth: 0.62 in
Width: 2.4 in
Weight: 5.6 oz

Dimensions 5th Gen

Depth: 0.55 in for 60gig (.43 for 30gig)
Width 2.4 in
Weight: 4.8 oz

Edit: Cause I'm stupid and dont know the difference between depth and width.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I made this to compare the physical differences of the new iPods vs. the old, from Apple's specs:

4v5compare.gif

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Dr. Dastardly said:
Dimensions 3rd gen
Depth: 2.4 in
Width: 0.62 in
Weight: 5.6 oz

Dimensions 5th Gen

Depth: 2.4 in
Width .55 in for 60gig (.43 for 30gig)
Weight: 4.8 oz

I believe you have mixed up your width and your depth. I doubt the new ipods are 2.4 inches deep!

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
ahhh..the smaller click wheel explains why i thought the thing was about 4 inches wide when i first saw it.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
briangig said:
ahhh..the smaller click wheel explains why i thought the thing was about 4 inches wide when i first saw it.

Same here, that and the fact the new one is flat on top....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mike Teezie said:
I made this to compare the physical differences of the new iPods vs. the old, from Apple's specs:

4v5compare.gif

Thanks for this. Also add that it takes a styling cue from the Nano with less rounded front corners. Nice styling up date after all this time. The biggest is battery life IMO. Just hope that they ship the new iPod with the spacer inserts for older docks (and dock compatible like the iMotion speakers).

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Mike Teezie said:

4v5compare.gif
If I'm not mistaken... the 3rd gen iPods should not have click wheels but rather, 4 touch sensitive buttons across the width of the iPod.

At least that's how my 3rd gen 20GB iPod looks.

thadchr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Wisconsin
The picture is a 4G, but all of that was extremely helpful regardless.

What about the compatibility of accessories? Is there any chance my 3rd Gen dock works with the new iPod (just to play music on a stereo)? My power adapter for the car should at least still work, correct?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I still think the 3rd gen layout/look was the best iPod design ever. Anyone else with me?

stoid

macrumors 601
m-dogg said:
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I still think the 3rd gen layout/look was the best iPod design ever. Anyone else with me?

I think that the look was the best, but not functionality. I finally cracked and got the remote because the buttons are so frustrating. When the iPod is in my pocket, I find it almost impossible to use the four basic control buttons. Since they are touch sensitive, just accidentally brushing a finger against one will activate the function. Sometimes, if it gets turned around so the buttons are facing my leg, it'll activate the buttons through the cloth of my pocket at random, really screwing things up. I borrowed a friends 4th Gen for a day, and had none of those issues, it was simple to perform basic functions without taking the iPod out of my pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.