Difference white vs black?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey Guys,

I'm completely new to this mac stuff, but am forced (hooray)à to switch for work hehe. Now, I see here the white and the black one, the black has a little bigger harddisk, but you can upgrade the white one cheaper for that. What are the other differences?

Thanks!

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

You can configure a white MacBook to match the specs of the black MacBook where the only difference between the two would be the color. There is a premium on the color black - some have come to calling it the "black tax". Some people (me being one of them) are willing to pay it, simple as that.

I paid the premium because I reasoned that if I was going to spend a "decent amount" on a MacBook, I might as well get what I wanted and not look back. I personally think the white one shows scratches more easily, though the black one leaves you wiping away fingerprints constantly. I heard that the white one had problems with staining but that could be over since Apple replaced the tops.

It's all a matter of what you like and what color appeals to you.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I bought a black one over the white, in my view the composite or whatever of the plastic is different compared to the white. It's not as shiny, which I find to be a good thing and obviously doesn't show dirt as easily. However I think it is a better plastic than the white versions, and that's what I paid for.

Compare them in a store if you can, you'll see.

4. twombles62 macrumors member

Na, it's the same plastic. It's just covered in a coating. I read once of a case under prolonged periods of very high heat, the coating started flaking off. I've only heard of this once though, so this guy was definitely doing something wrong.

5. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

Went with the white myself. Personal preference....and both are sweet ! ;)

6. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Sounds like it. Had my blackbook for well over 12 months with no such issue... I'm happy to say. :)

7. thies macrumors regular

a possibly marginal point, but in case you do use it in warmer climate outside I'd suggest white over black in regards to heating up in the sun.