iPad mini Difference with the new smart covers vs older ones?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TorontoSS, Oct 16, 2014.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

I see apples has released new smart covers but are they different than the older ones? I understand cases will only be capitable for specific iPads (air and air 2) but the mini covers seem like the same ones as before right?

Also I only notice a leather version for the mini - is that right?

2. cookiemonster89 macrumors newbie

I'd also like to know, if the old iPad Air Smart COVER will fit on the new Air 2. It looks like they changed the modell number but I don't know if this means the old one wouldn't fit on the new one.

3. dilap, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

dilap macrumors 6502a

It will because the front is the same size and apples store lists it as compatible with both

4. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

The cover is compatible I believe but the case isn't compatible.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If you wanted to force purchases you could rearrange the magnets again. :rolleyes:

6. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems there are different model numbers for older ones and newer ones - so I'm assuming maybe SOME minor differences.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Perhaps it's just different packaging. It'll probably say something like "Smart Cover for iPad Air and iPad Air 2" now.

8. ,,, macrumors newbie

This is sort of odd given that the magnet needs to latch on to a cylindrical frame, which would obviously be different between the two iPads. Unless you were talking about the smart case not cover, which would be a different story.