Differences among the USB ports on the new MBP 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, May 1, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. On the new 17" MBP, there are three USB ports on the left. Are there any differences? I recall reading somewhere that only one of the ports can be used to power a device that requires more power (e.g. portable hard drive that draws power from the laptop). The reason I am asking is that I am using a special software that requires the users to plug in the USB hardware key. I plugged it in the port closer to the palm rest area. It did not work. Then, I plugged it to the USB port near Magsafe connector. It works. I wonder if the one near the Magsafe is more powerful..

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Bumping this post because I'm running into a problem running my Verizon USB760 modem with my new MBP 13".

The official spec's from Apple don't list the power capacity of the USB ports. Does anyone know where to find the #'s on the USB ports for the new MBP's?

thanks
    JohnG

3. IceBreakerG macrumors member

I have the same problem on my 15" MBP. The usb port closest to the magsafe will power my phone, but the one in the front doesn't. I took it to the apple store and they reset the SMC, and that fixed it. However, I have a 6ft ipod cable I got from monoprice, and it will charge my phone on the back usb port, but not the front one. When I switched it to a 2.5ft ipod cable I keep in my bag, it worked in both ports. So it could be a cable length issue too.

4. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Turns out my USB/modem problems were not the fault of the computer. My guess is that Verizon lost a cell tower for a couple of days. All is well now.

cheers
    JohnG