Differences and similarities with MacBook and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yourdream, Nov 11, 2008.

1. yourdream macrumors regular

What are some major differences and similarities with the aluminum MacBook and MacBook Pro? Is the MacBook Pro faster then the MacBook? I returned a defective MacBook to Apple and am planning to rebuy another laptop from them. (I can't stand Windows.) I need some advice to which is actually meant for me. I will be using the laptop mainly for school. (email, homework, photoshop, surfing the web) and possibly some minor gaming, perhaps Spore =).

2. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Pro has a dedicated graphics card and an arguably better screen. If you really want the bigger screen then go for the Pro but otherwise I reckon you don't really need anything as powerful as the pro according to your uses.

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Sounds like if you can live with the smaller screen and no firewire, then the MB is for you.

However having a 15" screen is nice. I just moved up from a macbook to the pro. Nice having real graphics card. However if you are truly using this as a portable machine I find it a little more cumbersome to have a 15" screen than a 13" screen. Just my thoughts though.

4. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Do you own anything with FireWire?
    If no, get a MacBook.
    If yes, are you willing to replace those things?
    If no, get a MacBook Pro.
    If yes, get a MacBook.

The MacBook is a plenty capable and competent machine for minor gaming and photoshop.

5. jsonli macrumors member

If you aren't playing new games you don't need the pro.

The screen is a nice upgrade though - I use dual displays so I dont mind.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I dunno...it depends on whether or not you're going from the 2.0 or the 2.4 and considering the Pro.

The screen, extra ports, etc, are arguably worth the extra money, especially going from the 2.4. The screen is incredibly bright and clear compared to its baby brother. (I'm afraid I'll be blinded if I crank it up to full brightness. :p)

I'm also doing consumer stuff with my MBP, and some would argue that it's overkill for me. But with my 40 year old eyes, the smaller, more washed out dingier screen on the MB was a deal breaker. I've had no quality control issues on the pro like I did on the other 2 MB's I exchanged.

I'm also planning on keeping mine at least a couple of years (bought applecare), so I figured I'd be happier staring at it's screen for that time more than the MB.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Good choice. I was going to buy the new 2.4 Macbook, but I can't pay that amount for a crappy screen again and less ports (I use FW all the time). I'm getting the 2.4 Macbook Pro after January when another update might come. It is well worth the additional $400 to me just for the nice screen. I don't care about graphics as much because I have a gaming system for games. What a concept. Plus I don't do anything that requires intense graphics. The Blackbook's graphics do everything I need it to. Apple knew what they were doing when they raped the new Macbook of FW and stayed with the crappy screen. They knew many would upgrade like me. Jerks.

8. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

The Pro has dedicated graphics card, Firewire, Express34, and the larger, much better quality screen. Like one poster said, if you are going from the 2.0 ghz MB, it might not be wort it. But, if you would be making a decision between the 2.4 ghz MB and the low end MBP, go with the MBP. Oh, I also find the speakers much louder on the MBP than the MB.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

For me the MacBook was enough. Don't NEED the graphics upgrade and while the bigger and better screen would be nice, I can't justify the extra $400, but MOSTLY, I can't justify the additional weight. The MacBook was a nice middle ground between the underpowered MBA with no expandability, etc. and the Pro which I didn't want to lug. At 4.5 lbs I felt it wasn't too heavy. Also, I tend to always go for the higher end models. So I would probably want the $2,499 Pro. That said, I guess I would have gone for the 2.0 MacBook if it came with the backlit keyboard.