Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Besides the obvious charging mechanism difference for which version 2 is tailored to the iPad pro's form factor, are there any performance differences? Does the newer version write better?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I believe the official Apple Pencil page outlines the main differences.

The new one is magnetic, supports double-tap to switch tools, has tap to wake and can be engraved.

I personally couldn’t tell if the performance was any better , but I only checked them out in a store and on a coworker ‘s device for a bit.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I actually use the double tap feature way more than I expect to. I also prefer the texture of the 2nd get pencil. Of course the magnetic charging is WAY better in my opinion.

As for as writing goes. That's really up to the iPad. The latency on the pros makes for an incredibly smooth writing experience. I have no clue what the latency comparison between the pros and newly released iPads is. However, I didn't have any issues with my gen one pencil and gen one pro.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I actually use the double tap feature way more than I expect to. I also prefer the texture of the 2nd get pencil. Of course the magnetic charging is WAY better in my opinion.

As for as writing goes. That's really up to the iPad. The latency on the pros makes for an incredibly smooth writing experience. I have no clue what the latency comparison between the pros and newly released iPads is. However, I didn't have any issues with my gen one pencil and gen one pro.
Is the texture of the tip different or is it the screen coating on the new iPad Pro? I didn't think there were 2 different replacement tip packs so the tips should be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.