Differences between Boot Camp and Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainCaveMann, Mar 5, 2008.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

What are the main differences between these two programs? Is one better than the other? :confused:

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Bootcamp allows you to install XP (or whatever operating system you choose) on your mac and run it natively.

Parallels and VMware create a virtual machine. The benefit is that you don't have to reboot, but you have to share your system ram with OS X, and they don't do games, or really any 3d effects for that matter.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I don't need it for games, really the only reason I need to install xp on my mac is for MySpace (it runs better on windows) and to print various things for school that won't otherwise print in osx. Also for viewing some files under different formats that don't work well in osx off certain websites. So which do you guys think would be better for my needs? Thanks for all help! :confused:

P.S. Does this mean Parallels runs Xp slower than bootcamp? I don't want to sign into windows xp and have to wait, wait, and wait some more. So is their a big speed difference between the two as well?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Parallels or (the competitive product) VMware Fusion would probably suit you better. Speed is not really an issue as long as you are not doing anything intense in either OSX or Windows.

5. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

You may use both or one of them as me! I run parallels only. Bootcamp can't work in the same time with mac, Parallels can do this :) Bootcamp admits to play different games. But parallels has his own list ! For me for example that's enough!