Differences between FCS and FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dr.Pants, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, so the economy has me in the dumps, which leaves me to finally ask the question....

What are the real differences between Final Cut Studio and Final Cut Express? I've worked with Final Cut HD before my G4 decided to turn itself into shrapnel (exaggeration, but not far from the truth), but what could I do in FCS that I cannot do in FCE? I understand that both have different interfaces, but when it comes to what I can do in both of them, what is different?

I also understand the FCS supports Log and Capture, wheras on FCE one must use Capture Now (Not particularly worried).

I also wanted to, at some point, capture via an Intensity card... I understand that FCE is mainly firewire (am I right on this?), so I would have to use Blackmagic's program for capture, then go through MPEG streamclip to make the clips available for FCE. Am I correct on this assumption as well?

2. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

well FCE is just for editing videos
    FCS is a studio, aka, it has EVERYTHING you need.
    it has Final Cut Pro, Motion, Color, Compressor, Sound Track Pro, and DVD Studio.

so i think your wanting to compare FCE and FCP
    if you plan on shooting in 24p then you cant edit with FCE, you need FCP.
    FCP has tons more export options and capture options as well as Compressor, which is an amazing program for exporting your videos. Motion, is for graphics. it has tons of features and is a great tool once you get to know how to use it.

Do your research, if you dont need FCS then invest your money into camera equipment or just save it. But if you plan on shooting in 24P or exporting your media in various types and adding cool effects outisde of transitions then i would say go with FCS, as long as you have the funds

Hope that helps

-Brendan

3. BigSky20 macrumors regular

And wait to buy both if you can because new versions are expected within the next two months.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

nobody knows when FCS3 is coming out... typical time frame pointed towards last week, but obviously that didn't happen.

5. BigSky20 macrumors regular

Very true....now people are saying June. If they don''t come out with it soon, I am going to get the CS4 Production Suite.

6. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Thanks for the replies. I think I will be getting FCS, in that case... I knew FCE was a cut down version, but I did not know the extent. Since Express is more of a stripped down Pro, and does not include some equivalent to Colour or Motion (further reading), then I will be getting FCS2. Should have known there was something else in there besides the editing programs for the price difference. :p FCE, from Brendan's comments, sounds pretty constricting and not at all a "budget" option to Studio.