Differences Between GSM & CDMA iPhone Calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick1337, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, now I wanna know what 'dialing a soft pause' means.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

A "soft pause" works in situations where a phone number is broken up into several sequences that must be sent separately. For example, a phone number that includes an internal switchboard extension.

If you know that the remote switchboard always answers within a fixed period of time, you can insert an appropriate number of soft pauses to give the switchboard enough time to answer the call and prompt for the internal extension number -- and then the phone can automatically continue dialing in the extension number using DTMF (touchtones) without requiring any user intervention. The concept of a "soft pause" has been a built-in feature of conventional land-line modems and autodialers for decades now.

Apparently cell phones support it too. (I didn't actually know that.)

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Okie dokie, then.

Thanks!

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Wow that makes CMDA even more limited than I had originally thought. I'm happy I have never once had a problem with AT&T.

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

CDMA and GSM iPhone Differences

Apple posted a good article and chart showing the different capabilities in the two different iPhone models. It is worth a good look

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I started another thread about this but it got moved here. Just to clarify if you all have questions about the above post.

8. snakelda macrumors 6502

Wow,that does suck but I don't think I've ever had to do one of those options,most of those options look like someone from a business would do.