differences between Sandforce based SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoeshine, Aug 3, 2010.

1. shoeshine macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a 128GB SSD soon for a 13" MBP and have decided to go for one of the Sandforce controller models. A few months ago when i was looking at this, they were mostly in OCZ and OWC drives, but it seems like a lot of other manufacturers are starting to use them (AData Patriot, etc.).

I'm wondering if there's any huge difference in different brands of SSD using Sandforce controllers. The OCZ and OWC ones are a bit pricier than other ones i am finding, but other than a nominal difference in read/write speeds, what might be different?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They might use different controllers. AFAIK, there are at least three different SandForce controllers, SF-1000, SF-1200 and SF-1500. OCZ and OWC likely use the best ones available to guarantee the best speed

3. shoeshine thread starter macrumors member

well, the sf-1200 seems to be the most prevelant and you can find that one in OCZ and OWC drives, but also in Mushkin, Patriot, Corsair and Adata drives. I'm less interested in the minute differences in speed, as I imagine with the same controller architecture the real world speed difference is going to be negligible, and more interested in overall reliability and dependability.