Differences Between the High-End Processor Config Upgrade for MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I was just browsing the online Apple Store today and saw that there were two processor configurations for the high-end 15" version of the MacBook Pro-2.2 QC i7 and 2.3 QC i7. The difference between the two is ~$285 (In my regional online Apple Store).

The question is, however, what is the difference between the two? Surely an extra 0.1 ghz wouldn't give that much of a boost, wouldn't it?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

really not worth it, unless you absolutely must have every ounce of speed you can get.

3. smetvid macrumors 6502

I agree not really worth the extra cost. At best you are looking at a 4% speed boost which you will not notice in most operations. Rendering video and animation will be at best 4% faster. Use the extra money for Apple care or a 2 drive G-raid or some other gadgets.

4. Lloydehhh macrumors member

With the 2.3 you get 8MB of L3 cache as opposed to 6, makes the computer faster.

5. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Go for the 2.0Ghz, and get the high res screen for $100.00

6. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

What help does the high res screen have for you? To be honest, I think it is a downgrade instead of an upgrade, because without resolution independence, the default size 12 font and the Apple menubar shrinks so much.