Differences between the two MBP 13'' models??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by longhornlawyer, Jul 20, 2011.

1. longhornlawyer macrumors newbie

After this morning's MBA release, I've decided to get an MBP. However, I'm not sure which one. I know I'll definitely upgrade the stock setup to a 128 GB SSD, but other than that I'm unsure about which one to pick up. I have a few questions that will likely determine which one I buy:

1) Is there a major performance difference between the 2.3 i5 and the 2.7 i7?

2)Does the 2.7 i7 drain the battery faster? If so, how much faster?

3)If I upgrade to 8gb of ram from the stock 4gb, will I see a performance difference in day to day usage?

4) Finally, will more ram drain the battery faster?

Thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

1. Not much, I think like less than 10% diff.
    2. No
    3. Prob not, but for $80 or less I recommend you do it yourself regardless.
    4. No.

5. Why not upgrade to a 3rd party SSD that is faster?

3. longhornlawyer thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize you could install a 3rd party SSD on a unibody mac. Is it difficult to do? Which models are compatible?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You can do a lot.

I have a Vertex 3 Max IOPS in replacement of the stock 750GB 5400RPM Hard drive, then I removed the SuperDrive aka DVD-rom and added a 750GB 7200RPM Hard drive for internal storage. I also added 8GB 1600mhz kingston hyperX memory.

Unscrew all 10 screws on the bottom, remove 2 screws securing HDD to a bracket, unplug SATA, put in new HDD, add HDD bracket (2 screws) and put the back cover on (10 screws or so) and done.

You will have to reinstall OS X unless you made a clone of the HDD prior to removing/replacing the stock HDD.