Differences in Canon Vixia camcorders?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slipper, Mar 11, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I was pretty set on getting a Canon HF10 but i noticed there are a lot of other camcorders in the Canon Vixia line. HV30, HG20, etc.

What are the various Canon Vixia camcorders? And whats the differences?

Side note: My main objective is to get a consumer level HD camcorder with excellent low light performance, Canon Vixia's seem to have the best low light performance on http://camcorderinfo.com

2. bassgalcrash macrumors newbie

HV30 is MiniDV, HG21 is Hard Drive and the HF100 is Flash Memory, also the zoom for the HV30 is 10x, on the other two it's 12x, and a few other differences as far as special effects, megapixels. There are a few retailer websites that will allow you to directly compare the models. Hope that helped.

ETA: I'm looking for the same thing, and decided on the HF100 model. I can't wait!

3. bassgalcrash macrumors newbie

Just a follow up.. I ended up getting the Canon HG10, it's a version of the hard drive camcorder. I think there is a newer one, but it's AWESOME. Works really well with iMovie 09. I love the fact that I no longer have to use those pesky tapes, and no SD cards to buy. I HIGHLY recommend it. Great picture. Takes some time to learn, but it's worth it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How do you archive your video?

5. bassgalcrash macrumors newbie

Typically I record an event, import into iMovie and make a DVD. Then usually had everything on MiniDV tape as my backup. This is the first hard drive camcorder I've owned, so I suppose in addition to the DVD, I'll keep my clips on an external hard drive.

That's the only thing that's not as great about a hard drive camcorder versus tape.

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

Are your iMovie files in the native HD format, or are they transcoded to SD?