Differences in performance of GPS apps between 3G & #GS

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by acousticbiker, Aug 26, 2009.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I'm trying to decide between Navigon, TomTom and CoPilot by 8/31. In reading the wide variety of opinions about each app, I began to wonder whether some of the variability in performance (GPS lock, app performance/speed) has to do with whether people had a 3G or 3GS, which often is not mentioned. Can anyone comment on potential differences in observed performance based on the generation of iPhone used?

2. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Well I've CoPilot running on a 16GB 3G and don't have any issues. GPS lock is quick and seems accurate. I've just come back from a 2hr trip and it worked without any probs. Turns were timely (I've adjusted the time settings slightly) and routing fine. For the price, I'm happy. Slightly less happy with the Griffin mount, which wobbles a bit too much for my liking. Guess due to its design, being a long adjustable arm which picks up all the vibration. But that's what happens when one buys cheap ;)

3. BlaseUser macrumors newbie

I cannot comment about the specific applications you mentioned, but I recently upgraded from 3G to 3GS - I am a Sygic and G-Maps users - and found that the map scrolling was a lot better on the 3GS i.e. less UI lag; however 3GS GPS fix times and positional accuracy seemed to be very similar to 3G. As these applications evolve, you may see vendors taking advantage of the 3GS video performance improvements but for now, the differences seem to be minor.