Differences in power Mac G5 air deflector?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, May 3, 2015.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Troubleshooting my quad and was wondering if there was any differences in the air deflector for G5s. I got this one with 2 other G5s (one 2.7 and one 2.3 I believe) and was thinking maybe the deflector was switched and that's why it suddenly turns on the led's and fans eventually ramp up. Anybody know if this could be possible?

2. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Your air deflector may not be installed correctly. It may go into the machine and the cover goes on after it, but the sensor that activates when the air deflector is properly installed is not being activated. The red lights come on when that sensor is not being activated.

IIRC, the sensor is somewhere on the bottom of the Mac, but I don't know where exactly.

3. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

The single core G5's used one type of air deflector, the dual core from 2005 used a different deflector. You can tell which it is by looking at the deflector area over the ram slots. The older model has a big dent there to fill the empty space over the fans. The dual core version is flat in that area, as it has a different fan duct design.

The switch that tells the G5 the deflector is in place, is inside the bottom rear slot. If you look at the plastic tabs at the bottom of the air deflector, the one in the back has a solid plastic sticker or paint on it. Thats for the switch. If that tab is somehow broken off, the G5 will think the air deflector isnt installed and the fans will switch to high speed.