Differences in screens in new macbook..2.0 or 2.4?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lidomkj, Nov 5, 2008.

1. lidomkj macrumors regular

I have the 2.4 new macbook with 9C8C screen. I had the macbook air rev 1 bought on release day and really do not see a difference between the two different screens in first air versus the macbook. I would not have known there was a problem if I did not read these forums picking up things I might not notice on my own. I must be one of the lucky few and do not have any problems with it. Viewing angle is slightly less than the air, but I am always looking straight on and really do not need a wide viewing angle. Perfect display when looking at standard viewing angles.

I really love this MAC and sooooo glad I got rid of the Air. Yes, slightly heavier, but do not need to plug in the super drive to copy movies, larger hard drive(so no portable drive, online storage, making sacrifice on what to install,etc), 4 gigs of ram, faster processor, and to mention no core shutdown or heat issues. I can actually use it for what I bought it for. Ultra portable, I use a dell mini 9 and my daughter has an EEE 8.9 inch screen that I can use either when I want something really small to take with me or use the iPhone when I just need email and quick surfing. I even compared it to my high end 17" HP with High Definition screen and other high end notebooks friends/family have with LED backlight. I can not see any difference and it passes all the color tests floating around. Not saying there are not better screens on other PCs out there or others are having issues, but very happy with mine. I wanted to share since someone might be on the fence about getting one or thinking about completely returning and potentially miss out on a great computer.

Anyway,,reason for the post....

I see a ton of people with the different screen models and complaints. I could not see which model people have when they say they have 9C8C versus 9C89. Is the 9C89 in the 2.0 model only and 9C8C in the 2.4 or is there a mix and does not matter which macbook you bought?

2. pw1388 macrumors member

I have the 2.4ghz and i got the 9C8C. So maybe your right the higher end macbook gets a little better screen.

3. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it's a mix, regardless of the MacBook you get.

From my personal experience, I couldn't tell the difference between a 9C89 and a 9C8C that were sitting side by side.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

its pretty much a random thing, but it seems like the 89 screen is a lot more common, and the 8C screen is the most rare one...

i have the 89 screen an after finding a color profile that i liked, it looks amazing...although the blacks arent as black as i might want, but whatever, i can live with it, it doesnt bother me so much.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I got the 2.0 MB and I got the 9C8C screen. Im loving the screen tbh ;)

6. Greystorm macrumors member

7. tiartrop macrumors regular

Another 2.0 with 9C8C.

And also in Australia. Maybe it's got to do with location? *shrugs*

8. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

9. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Well, with the new MacBooks, its easy. If your keyboard doesn't light up, its 2.0. If it does; it's 2.4 :)

10. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

ooh. So all of the 2.4's have the same screen?

11. jblock macrumors regular

I have a 9C89 in my 2.4. No complaints, no issues.

12. bregetabond macrumors newbie

bregetabond

13. Philflow macrumors 65816

I think so too.

In my experience the the 9C8C is slightly better than the C89. Small differences though.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

2.4 9c89

I exchanged a couple of MB's and ended up with a 2.4 MB with the dreaded 9C89 screen. Also used the 'perfect' color profile I found on these forums.

The dark/black viewing is acceptable. I watched Sweeney Todd by Tim Burton on it, along with the last Apple Keynote, and I could clearly make out details in that very, very dark movie.

Yeah, you have to closely adjust the viewing angle. A few degrees off, and the screen has a cloaking device. I honestly don't think the picture quality is any worse than the new MBP's. Okay, it's big brother may have a better viewing angle, but I don't think that's enough to entice me to spend another $569 plus tax for a slightly bigger, maybe slightly better screen.

Compared to my friends 2.4 MB from last Christmas, it is gorgeous.

I don't know if it was the new profile, better screen quality in the 2.4 vis a vis the 2.0, or if it took a few trips to the Genius Bar at the back of the Apple Store for the RDF to overcome me, but I'm satisfied with my current setup. ....Or, I may want to get a faster hard drive...:D