Differences in the last few generations of rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mscriv, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hey All,

Well, our 2008 17" MBP has finally died with a logic board issue. We were hoping it would last a few more years, but alas we are now considering making a new laptop purchase. So, since they no longer make the 17" I definitely am looking at the 15" rMBP. Do you think there is that much of a performance difference between the current model, the early 2013 model and the 2012 models?

We mainly use the computer for music, I do DJ work on the side (Virtual DJ), some video and picture editing (iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, Photoshop), basic web surfing, some desktop publishing/design (InDesign, Illustrator), a bit of video conversion (Handbrake, Toast, VLC), and basic office kind of work (Microsoft Office, iWork).

I'm not the kind of guy who has to have the latest and greatest and generally I've bought older machines and been able to use them for several years. However, with Mac cracking down on users being able to do their own upgrades in the MBP I want to be sure to future proof as much as I reasonably can, but still get the best value for my dollar. I'm probably over analyzing it, but the fact that I can't upgrade the memory myself is scaring me a bit. I'm sure 8gb of ram would be be plenty for our needs, but 16gb would definitely be awesome.

Any thoughts or experiences that you all could share would be appreciated. :)

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The performance difference is rather small. I would go for the 16 GB memory, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. But both the 2012 and 2013 models should be fine for you otherwise, and you might save quite some money going for a 2012 model.

PS: I'm a professional forum replier, and I will therefore bill you for my excellent and useful reply ;)

3. gobigorange macrumors member

As mentioned above, the performance difference isn't that great. However, the latest generation should get significantly better battery life. The RAM is not upgradeable so if you plan to keep it a long time 16GB would be the right choice.