Differences in waiting before playing an HD movie

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pandaurae, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pandaurae macrumors newbie

I have a situation that i am trying to understand and fix but am not really sure whats going on.

I have an Apple TV that i have at home. Its directly wired to a switch that is part of my home network. The switch is directly wired to our 5mb cable modem. When i rent an HD movie it would download about 5% and then show that the movie is available to play.

I brought the apple tv to my parents house because i want to get them and i wanted to test everything first. I have it connected wirelessly to a gateway thats connected to 3mb dsl. When i rented an HD movie its currently at 39% downloaded and it still has not shown thats its availble to play.

What i am trying to figure out is why it thinks it needs to download alot more before being ready to play in this configuration than the configuration i have at home. One of the reasons i wanted to get them one was because it was easy to rent movies and watch them pretty quickly. At home it takes about 5-10 minutes to download 5-6% and i can start watching it. In this other configuration its now up to 40% downloaded in about an hour and it still wont let me start it.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. toddngina macrumors member

It's due to the speed of the internet connection. Apple TV won't start playing a movie until it judges it can finish downloading it in the time it takes to play it (with an unknown buffer). Your folks are most likely not seeing the full 3 Mbps speed at their end of the pipe - for whatever reason. They just need a faster internet connection to play it as quickly as you.