Differences With Front & Rear Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Apr 3, 2011.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The front camera is lower in quality than the rear camera BUT will it soon become the same quality in the near future?

Reason for this is that sometimes I would like to use the front camera to see what I am recording. Ex: Myself. But I hate that it will lower the quality & it would then result in me using the rear camera just so I get a better quality.

So for now the front camera is only great for facetime not recording.

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Probably not, honestly. I mean for video casting it would be nice to have if you're out and about, or on a WiFi network moving around but that's really the only things outside Facetime I could see a high quality front camera for.

They may bump it up a notch but I don't see it being anywhere near the quality of the rear facing camera.

3. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

The Front Camera is a VGA sensor, with approximately 0.3 megapixels.
    The Rear Camera is 5.0 Megapixel Sensor capable of shooting 720p Video.

So, yea.. the rear camera is better.

There are reports that the next generation iPhone will sport an 8 megapixel sensor provided by Sony, but there are no reports about the front camera of the next iPhone. My guess is that the camera will be the "FaceTime HD" camera found in the most recent generation of MacBook Pros.

4. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Yeah true.

I heard about those reports of a 8MP. Thats awesome but I would like to see a better lens with that also.

FaceTime HD seems like a good guess since they have it on the new Macbook Pro. But what MP is that I wonder?

5. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't think Apple ever really intended for the front camera to be used for anything other than facetime or a simple self portrait. To be honest, I am surprised they even allow you to record video with the front camera. What with them being quality obsessed and all.

I would venture a guess the next phone has a slightly better front camera. I doubt they will ever match the quality of the front camera with that of the back- it would drive the cost of the phone up too much.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's 720p. Which is about 0.9 megapixels.