iPad Differense between the A5x and A6x chip?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ms341547, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ms341547 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, is there a huge or small differense between the iPad 3 and iPad 4? Also, do you think retina iPad mini will have the A5x or A6x? Or maybe A7x? ;)

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

First, I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5 (so A5X vs the A6). That gives me a pretty good indication of processing power between them. The A5X lags a bit in scrolling which I am told is fixed in the A6X. The A5X vs the A6 in CPU "stuff" for the most part isn't noticeable. Somethings my iPhone is quicker and I am sure for "high-end" games the A6 beats the A5X, but then again I stopped gaming along time ago (unless you count Sudoku or Angry Birds).

So anyway, my opinion is that scrolling will be a bit smoother, and Apps and other CPU items would be somewhat faster, but will you notice it in basic tasks: No.

As for what will be in the retina iPad Mini. Purely speculation of course, but my opinion is that the Mini will probably always have the GPU/CPU of the previous iPad in order to hit price points. Therefore, the Retina iPad mini will probably carry the A6(x) when the "big" iPad gets the A7X. Again this is purely speculation on my part, but in a lot of ways it makes sense. First off, the A6X will have been out for a year so it "should" have economies of scale to be cheaper, plus they probably have done a bit of rework on the processor to make it run better/cooler (during the life time of any processor it usually gets a few tweaks) so it should be better suited for the "limited" battery power of the Mini.

Again, these are just all opinions and speculations on my part. I could be completely wrong!