Different Account login password and Admistrative password for a single user.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DerekBird, Jul 20, 2014.

1. DerekBird macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if this is possible on Mavericks? I want one password to log in to my MacBook, and another to administrate. This is a computer with a single administrative account.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Since its much better to have at least 2 accounts in case something went wrong with one of them, I would :

- create a new "admin" account, with its admin (and login) password.

- change the current account from administrative to standard, with its (non admin) login password.

I have been using (and installing for others) this setup for years and it is the best solution, imo.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can have as many accounts as you want, so setting up one account as a standard user while having the admin account active is possible.

Personally, I tried that many years ago and it was a pain because I kept getting prompted for the admin userid/password to get stuff done. I think OS X is built in such a way, you're better off using the admin user account, but that's just my opinion.

4. DerekBird thread starter macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14180

I wonder if a sharing account would accomplish what I need? My issue is I want to be able to have a trusted friend over at my place that I would give them my password to log in to the Mac for with a password unassociated with all of my web accounts. I have a guest account but no one seems to want to use it, depending why they're turning it on I might want them in my account anyway i.e. my iTunes. But I don't want my friend, if said friend turned out to be malevolent and went into my Safari preferences, typed my password in enabling them to view all of my Keychain passwords. Unlikely to happen but I made the mistake of being a victim of a phishing scam and would just like to create better practices. Thanks for your replies.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

A sharing account is only for someone connecting to your computer from another computer to share files.
    What you're looking to do isn't possible. You can't change privileges within a single account. You could put your iTunes library in /Users/Shared and then any account could access it from there so making a separate account for your visitors would be more useful.

6. Ichkamo macrumors member

Ichkamo

Hi,
    I think you should create a second user that isn't admin and login as this user and keep the admin user's name and password to administrate.
    Hope I helped :)