Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lilia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
I am new to the MAC and work in an environment where there are servers. I'm trying to understand how multiple accounts work on a Mac. When I change something in the System Preferences/Network, does it change for all my accounts or just the one I am logged into?

Also, when I install new software from a server, am I installing it to the account I am logged on as, or am I installing it to all of my accounts? If I install software from a server and put something on the desktop of one account, when I sign into another account, will I need to go through the same process to get it from the server, to that account? Or does the install carry over to all accounts?

Thanks for helping me understand the basics!

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
The idea of accounts is that a seperate person is using it...with this in mind all settings will be different, as with downloaded files. Programs I believe will install into all account if done from an admin account. This should be exactly the same as with Windows, nothing new because it is OS X.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I am new to the MAC and work in an environment where there are servers. I'm trying to understand how multiple accounts work on a Mac. When I change something in the System Preferences/Network, does it change for all my accounts or just the one I am logged into?

Also, when I install new software from a server, am I installing it to the account I am logged on as, or am I installing it to all of my accounts? If I install software from a server and put something on the desktop of one account, when I sign into another account, will I need to go through the same process to get it from the server, to that account? Or does the install carry over to all accounts?

Thanks for helping me understand the basics!

First, it's Mac not MAC (that means something else entirely).

System prefs are split between things that affect the whole computer, and things that affect your account only (i.e., screen savers, desktop pictures). Some will affect all accounts, some only the current account; Play around with it.

When you install new software, it's the same deal; It usually installs for everyone. It depends on where you copy the app to.

For instance, if you copy it to "Applications" that's everyone. If you put it in your home directory or desktop, then its yours alone.

I hope that answered some questions. The short of it is that if you put it anywhere in your "home directory" (which includes your desktop) it is only that users'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.