Different charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Popis1991, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Popis1991 macrumors member

Hey guys!
    My charger for my macbook air just got eaten up by my dog.... so i need i new one :(
    My question is, whats the difference between all the chargers? i see there is a Watt difference but i use my macbook air charger for my girlfriends macbook pro and vice versa, is there really such a big difference?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes there is different watts

The MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro use a 60 W MagSafe charger, whereas the 15" and 17" MacBook Pro use a 85 W MagSafe charger. The MacBook Air has a lower powered 45 W version of the MagSafe adapter. The power brick is smaller, but the MagSafe connector is the same as on the 60 W and 85 W chargers. Apple has made it clear that an adapter with the same or higher wattage than originally provided may be used without problems.[4] (taken from wikipedia)

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Find the watts of your original charger and get one of that watts or higher. If it's higher, the computer will adjust it to be the corrected wattage and not cause any damage. If it lower, I think it will technically work, but it will take longer to charge.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

None scientific answer - Yes - otherwise Apple would have standardized into 1 charger model.