I've had my White 3G since launch date and have been extremely pleased with it in till iPhone i've noticed 3 or four cracks by the silent switch (not a big deal), and my battery has been getting worse and worse over the past few weeks, to the point were im running down into 20% at the end of the day with light use. (I've even tried calibrating the battery.) As a solution to these problems i've decided to do a warranty exchange. Although, I've been wondering if I can request a Black 16GB instead of white because i've read the white is more prone to cracking, and the black has grown on me. Since there still giving me a replacement, will it be hard to push for a black one if even possible. Also im Pro-Care. Thanks for any replys!