Different feedback on iPhone 7 Home button depending on pressure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JTToft, Oct 15, 2016.

1. JTToft macrumors 68040

So I have a question. Can anyone give any explanation as to why the iPhone 7 Home button gives two different degrees of feedback (both haptic and auditory) depending on the amount of pressure used in the press?
    I am not talking about the 3 different sensitivities that can be set in Preferences, but about a difference within the same sensitivity setting.
    The two different presses don't result in any functional difference. They are both just regular Home button presses.

To make sure I wasn't imagining things, I made a sound recording of 4 firm presses followed by 4 light presses and blew up a waveform of that recording to visualise it.

Anybody?

(iOS 10.0.2)

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 23.27.46.png

Attached Files:

2. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I don't seem to be able to get this to happen on mine, maybe my fingers aren't sensitive enough.

3. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- Thanks, though. I spoke with a few others before posting here also to make sure I wasn't crazy. Some of them were also able to perceive two different presses on their phones. The waveform seems to visually confirm it independently of subjective sensations.

4. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

If you apply more pressure you might be dampening the sound/vibration harder with your finger (absorbing more of the energy) so the waveform might not be proof, maybe I'm wrong.

5. JTToft thread starter macrumors 68040

- I don't think so. Firm presses produce louder sounds, not quieter sounds, and the sound is produced by the bottom speaker which wasn't touched in my experiment.