Different HDDs in Mid 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ratboy90, Feb 19, 2010.

1. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I can only speak for myself. Before I had a German MBP and now have an American one. Both are mid 2009. The German one had a different hard drive than my current American one. In system profile it said the German one was made by Nvidia but had the same serial as a Seagate(ST......). My American one has a Hitachi HDD in it. Does apple do this for each continent or country? Say USA gets Hitachi ; EU gets Seagate/Nvidia. Or are HDDs randomly chosen for each MBP?

Are there any big differences between the hard drives?

If it makes any difference both were 2,26 ghz and 160 gb models. Both were brand new.

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Nvidia doesn't make hard drives. They make the chipset in the MBP that controls, among other things, the hard disk interface.

Apple sources disks from all the major hard drive makers - Seagate, Hitachi, and Fujitsu seem to be the most common. In theory there should be no difference in the drives, as Apple orders components to meet their specifications. In reality, it's been shown that some makes are more (or less) reliable than others, or have different noise/vibration characteristics. I have received new Macs with hard disks from all three of the above manufacturers in the past.