Different IPhone Keyboards

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phil1995, Apr 22, 2011.

1. phil1995 macrumors member

Can someone please explain the different keyboards that seem to appear on my Verizon IPhone4?

Sometimes when I go to look for a "\" or a ",", they just are not there where they usually are. When I hit the same button, different keys appear.

I just do not understand this keyboard sometimes.

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Could you post a screenshot of it?

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I agree. Post a screenshot so we can see exactly what you mean. And also post a screenshot of your settings (Under keyboard)

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I'm not sure what you mean, there are three screens of key's (by default).

The first keyboard screen is the screen. The second screen consists of numbers and normal punctuation, while the third has additional (not as often used) punctuation.

Through setting you can add additional keyboard for other languages. I hope this helps you.

5. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

Find the , or the /

The first shot is of the Alphabetic keyboard
    The second shot is the numeric keyboard
    The third is the numeric keyboard with the "#+= "

Find me a , or a \

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

lol, sorry bout that guys, didnt realize that they were gonna post billboard size.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Some text fields only allow for certain characters. In other words, it's customized for that particular text field's purpose. That particular text field doesn't allow for commas or forward slashes. To add multiple people (which I believe is the reason why you want a comma, like when filling the Send field in email), just type a person's name, tap on the contact you want on the list and then type another person's name, etc. In the message text field (screenshots attached), the forward and backward slash reappears along with the comma.

If you go into the Notes app or some other general text field (like Safari's URL field), the forward slash reappears. I attached screenshots. So basically, there are many keyboard "profiles" that app developers can pick and choose from for different purposes. Like there is a key for ".com" in Safari's URL bar to help facilitate easier entering of URLs since many use the ".com" suffix.

Attached Files:

8. phil1995 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, but the reason I was looking for a comma, was to put LastName, FirstName in the address book when looking for contacts.

Maybe I should just do firstname lastname or something, sounds like they definitely did not want me to use a comma there.

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Your pictures are posted while searching for contacts. Your keyboard will omit some keys because you are not typing a message there. The full keyboards are available when typing a message.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There's no need to. Apple is trying to save you the time of entering the entire first and last name of contact. Unless you have a lot of contacts with the same first or last name (i.e. 100 contacts with "Parker" as either their first or last name), just type part of the name and then scroll through the list. Tap on the one you want. If it's a group message w/ multiple people, just type the next person's name, scroll through the list, etc.