Different iTunes Modes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darkshadow1337, Aug 30, 2008.

1. darkshadow1337 macrumors newbie

I just came across this info on a site that i will post below. iTunes apparently comes with 3 different modes. (one that isnt mentioned here is normal mode. which is just regular iTunes)

== How to use ==
    Simply execute these commands in Terminal

== Store Activation Mode ==
    Checks for a valid SIM card (as in, official, like AT&T, o2, TMobile DE, etc.) then activates the attached iPhone. Tes----REMOVED----

=== On ===
    In terminal:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes StoreActivationMode -boolean YES

=== Off ===
    In terminal:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes StoreActivationMode -boolean NO

== Store Genius Mode ==
    Utterly useless mode, to say the least. It disables all syncing and just allows updating/restoring. It is probably so that the personal information, email addresses, pictures, etc. do not get synced to the Genius Bar computer. I guess that should be a relief.

=== On ===
    In terminal:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes StoreGeniusMode -boolean YES

=== Off ===
    In terminal:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes StoreGeniusMode -boolean NO

2. darkshadow1337 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed the steps above are for Mac Users only. I will show you how to activate each of these modes in Windows below:

Activation Mode:
    1. Create a shortcut that links to "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /StoreActivationMode 1 (Create shortcut by right-clicking desktop and then shortcut)
    2. Name the Shortcut "iTunes Activation Module"

Genius or "Restore only" mode (Great for helping a friend fix or Restore his/her iPod or iPhone)
    1. Create a shortcut that links to "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /StoreGeniusMode 1
    2. Name the Shortcut "iTunes Genius Module"