Different keyboard on 2017 MacBook Pros Manufactured this quarter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eddsterrrr, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Eddsterrrr macrumors newbie

Just received my 2017 MacBook Pro warranty replacement From apple today (straight from Shanghai). They keyboard felt different to me. I’m not sure if it’s just because the laptop is new and I don’t have an older 2017 to compare it to. Has anyone else experienced the same with MacBook Pros currently being manufactured this quarter?

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Probably because it's brand spanking new. Give it a few weeks and see how it feels. My guess is it will loosen up a bit.

3. Eddsterrrr, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018

Eddsterrrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear what i meant by “different”. I actually thought it felt better than I recall. This made me wonder if maybe it was possible that Apple made recent manufacturing changes (with regard to keyboard components) due to malfunctioning keys (an Apple advisor herself admitted to me this is a known issue). However, that’s just speculation on my part.

Though, I am now curious if anybody has noticed a keyboard difference in 2017 MacBook Pros that we’re manufactured in recent months/weeks, when compared to those manufactured earlier.

So, if someone has access to a recently manufactured 2017 MBP TB and one which was manufactured earlier on in its lifecycle, could you do a side-by-side keyboard comparison/test? (assuming keys being compared are fully functional)

4. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

I do ;)

I had a 2016 MBP for a year, and I got a 2017 model replacement from Apple early this year under warranty. The keyboard does feel better than 2016. However, I have just brought myself a refurb 2017 base model 13 MBP 2 days ago, the keyboard felt better than the 2016 MBP and 2017 MBP (both are 15 inch) for some reason. Tap more travel, I would say. But, I could be wrong.