Different kind of wifi problem - 2011 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thekb, Aug 30, 2012.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

OK, I've read through several threads of people experiencing problems with 2011 imacs running Lion -- losing connection, turning wifi off and on constantly to reconnect. However, I have a different kind of wifi issue.

Recently, my 2011 imac which is approaching 1 year old has begun losing wifi connection during sleep and when I go to reestablish the connection, absolutely no wireless networks show up. I know my router is functioning because it works on other devices and I know there are other networks around me so it's like the computer's airport card has just vanished. The only solution so far has been reboot. This has happened 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks (not a LOT, but several times) and it is making me nervous. Has anyone experienced that before? Does it sound hardware or software related?

Ironically, I just experienced it again just as I sat down to research applecare and couldn't connect. :cool:

2. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

A lot of iMac users with WiFi problems have found relief through upgrading to Mountain Lion.

3. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

So this sounds like a software problem to you? Like I said it is as if the airport card stops functioning completely. No wifi networks show up at all when this error occurs.

Thanks for your response. I may have to give mountain lion a try.