Different Language Versions of OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hellodave, Apr 18, 2007.

1. hellodave macrumors newbie

I am currently living in Korea and I am about to buy an Imac. I am wondering if the operating system is in Korean? And if it is can i switch it to English.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There is a System Preference (Control panel) called International, that allows you to change and then boot into most languages such as English, Hongul, Nihongo, amoung many others. Just select the language and then reboot the computer.

3. hellodave thread starter macrumors newbie

감사합니다

Thanks a lot , thats easy enough.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to be of help.

Also, if you are running Unicode compatible programs, their menu selections will change to the selected language automatically which is really cool.

5. guifa macrumors 6502

Not quite. A program has to have been localised first for it to change. In your language options you rank the prefered languages.

So, for me for instance, I have the languages listed:

Español, Português do Brasil, Português da Portugal, English, Italian, French, German

If a program has a Spanish localisation, it will run in Spanish. If not, then OS X checks and sees if it has a Portuguese localisation, and if so, it will use it (and will prefer a Brasilian one to a Continental one). Barring that it will normally run in English, but if for some weird reason there's no English version, it will run in Italian (which I can parse through rather well), or French (more difficult) and lastly German (which I know very little of). If none of those are present, it runs in the default developmental language (eg, the language that it was produced in).

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, you are correct.

I wasn't thinking completely as I used to develop localized software and forgot most don't at all or have all languages.

Thanks for the catch! :)

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, that is correct.

I wasn't thinking completely as I used to develop localized software and forgot most don't at all or have all languages.

Thanks for the catch! :)