Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
have always run 2 macs: 1 for the bigger work (logic, FCP), one for email, notes, etc. now i am running everything from a macbook air (& loving it). so, a dual-monitor system is new to me (& loving that, too).

i have a few incredible apps (for example, clamshell, better display, monitor control) set to open at login. but it would be great to have those apps NOT open on login when i am not using the external monitor (ie when traveling).

is there any way to do this? ie for the macbook to 'see' that there is no external monitor connected, and load an alternative set of apps at login?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I think what you might want is a second user account. I run three, actually: one for general purpose stuff; one (secondary Apple ID) for work; and a third (same Apple ID as my primary) that's specifically a distraction-free environment for writing. That third account has no email or iMessage set up, very few apps running. It's quite easy to switch between them.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think what you might want is a second user account. I run three, actually: one for general purpose stuff; one (secondary Apple ID) for work; and a third (same Apple ID as my primary) that's specifically a distraction-free environment for writing. That third account has no email or iMessage set up, very few apps running. It's quite easy to switch between them.
no, i want access to everything all the time. anyway, not a big deal... if there's nothing for those apps to do, they do nothing (and easy enough to quit them).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Code:
-- tell application "Cookie" to launch
tell application "Contacts" to launch
tell application "Mail" to launch
tell application "Messages" to launch
-- tell application "Calendar" to launch
-- tell application "TweetDeck" to launch
delay 2
do shell script "open ~/Documents/banking_current_V8.bank8"
tell application "ReadKit" to launch
delay 2
activate application "Finder"
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "h" using {command down, option down}
delay
tell application "Finder"
    set visible of process "Contacts" to false
end tell
tell application "Safari" to activate

I use an Applescript (above) to launch a group of apps after I have logged in.

I'm wondering if you could make this work for you by making two different scripts like this then save them as apps using the Scripteditor. Then run whichever app (script) launches the apps you want to for your current workflow.

Those apps with the two dashes are commented out so they don't launch.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Code:
-- tell application "Cookie" to launch
tell application "Contacts" to launch
tell application "Mail" to launch
tell application "Messages" to launch
-- tell application "Calendar" to launch
-- tell application "TweetDeck" to launch
delay 2
do shell script "open ~/Documents/banking_current_V8.bank8"
tell application "ReadKit" to launch
delay 2
activate application "Finder"
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "h" using {command down, option down}
delay
tell application "Finder"
    set visible of process "Contacts" to false
end tell
tell application "Safari" to activate

I use an Applescript (above) to launch a group of apps after I have logged in.

I'm wondering if you could make this work for you by making two different scripts like this then save them as apps using the Scripteditor. Then run whichever app (script) launches the apps you want to for your current workflow.

Those apps with the two dashes are commented out so they don't launch.
thanx, will check this idea out....

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.